|Title:||Stearman PT-13/-17 Kaydet|
|Released:||2003 | Initial release – new tool|
The real plane
|Model||Stearman PT-17 Kaydet|
|Type||Two seat primary trainer|
|Upper wingspan||9,80 m|
|Wing area||27,60 m2|
|Weights||max. takoff 1.195 kgs|
|Max. airspeed||200 km/h|
In January 1953 the IAF formed the flight academy’s fleet of Stearmans into a reserve liaison and surveillance unit, to be activated in times of emergency. Seconded to 100 Squadron, the unit was initially designated 1000 Squadron, but was redesignated 147 Squadron on January 1, 1955. It was activated on October 27, 1956, for the Suez Crisis. Commanded by Captain Meir Shefer, the unit had 25 serviceable aircraft but only 12 pilots, consisting of both reserves and qualified students and including Rina Levinson, one of a handful of female pilots serving with the IAF. 147 Squadron flew 401 sorties during the war, clocking 233 hours. Flying from Ramla, next to IAF headquarters, the squadron flew communications, liaison, transport, patrol and reconnaissance missions, operating during both day and night. Once the fighting was over, the aircraft reverted to their original training role and the squadron was deactivated.
At this moment there are two remaining airworthy Spearman’s in Israel.